What is the AmeriCorps Program?
Annually in the summer, GGR sponsors teams of 7 to 10 AmeriCorps workers full time for eight weeks to contribute to environmental projects in greater Racine. GGR does this in order to promote a more sustainable Racine and to support environmental organizations by providing volunteers to staff their hands-on projects.
What has AmeriCorps been up to recently?
In 2021, GGR board member Pastor Lynn Nys organized projects for a seven-member AmeriCorps team to work with Habitat for Humanity, do coastal restoration for the Health Department, clear invasive species at River Bend, and plant trees at the Caledonia Conservancy. Plans are in the works for a 2022 summer sponsorship.
GGR sponsored three previous AmeriCorps teams. Scroll down for information in reverse chronological order for years 2021, 2019, and 2018.
- Racine Urban Forestry Program: Planted 400 trees.
- Root-Pike Watershed Initiative Network: Cleared invasives at Smolenski Park.
- City of Racine Public Health Department: Cleared and planted at Sam Myers Park Racine.
- RiverBend Nature Center: Cleared invasives and pathways.
- Uptown Racine BID: Cleared greenspace and trail-making.
- Racine Revitalization Partnership: Painted two houses.
- Caledonia Conservancy: Cleared trails.
- Racine Family YMCA: Assisted with the Lighthouse Run.
- Extra days: Worked with RUGN: The Racine Urban Garden Network and Weed Out! Racine